By Allison Vieira, Sharon Hospital registered dietitian
Put a fun, fall twist on a classic, easy-to-make taco recipe. These seasonal pumpkin tacos with corn tortillas are an excellent and filling meatless dish. Filled with antioxidants from the pumpkin and lean protein from the beans, this meal is a great way to eat healthy and celebrate fall.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic (or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder)
¼ cup chopped yellow onion
1 can low sodium black beans
1 can pumpkin puree
½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon cumin
8 corn tortillas, 8 inch
1 cup chopped red cabbage
1. Drain and rinse black beans. Set aside.
2. Sautee olive oil, garlic, and onion in pan on medium heat for two minutes.
3. Add black beans and pumpkin puree to pan for four minutes, stirring as needed.
4. Add chili powder, cumin and stir. Heat for 1 minute.
5. Scoop approximately ¼ cup of filling into a tortilla.
6. Add red cabbage as desired to each tortilla for extra crunch.